5 Easy and Essential Fall Maintenance Tips for Your Homed
As the autumn weather begins it’s cooling decent and the leaves glide gently from the trees, it’s always important for homeowners to turn their attention to a few essential seasonal maintenance items. If you follow these few easy steps, your home will be warm and bright through the chilly months ahead.
1) After a dusty summer be sure to change/clean household filters
- Change furnace filter.
- Clean your Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV) by rinsing the filter with warm water.
- Clean your hood fan filter by washing it with soapy warm water, or you can run it through the dishwasher.
2) Take this time to clean your windows and window screens and vacuum dust from the window frames. If you wait too long to do this, you can damage windows and frames by trying to open them when frozen.
3) Adjust your exterior doors to make sure they are air tight
- Adjust the door’s bottom sill (PVC plate that aligns with the bottom of your door) by loosening the screws to ensure there is a tight seal against the door’s weather stripping.
- Adjust striker plates by loosening nuts and sliding the metal plate forward to make a tight seal against the weather stripping.
4) Turn off the outside hose bib by turning the ‘marked’ valve in the mechanical room to the off position. Then open outside tap(s) and open the air bleed valve, also in the mechanical room. Be sure to turn off the bleed valve when you are finished.
5) Inspect the insulation in your attic. In order to keep your home comfortable and properly ventilated, air must move through the attic. Sometimes due to strong winds, the insulation can move around. If this has happened, you can redistribute the insulation using a broom.
Once these few items are complete you can rest assured your Avalon home will be ready for another Alberta winter. Now you can enjoy the beautiful fall colors, the final hikes in the mountains and prepping your skis for another season.